A Buyers Guide to Steam Showers
A home spa is made possible by innovations in shower and bathroom fixtures available on the market today. Aside from regular tubs, there are now whirlpool tubs that provide gentle body massage and ordinary showers have moved on you can now purchase a steam shower, perhaps inspired by steam rooms that you can find in spas and gyms. Thinking of turning your shower to a functioning steam room? Here are the basics that will help you to make the right purchase for your needs.
What are steam showers?
A steam shower looks like a regular shower enclosure, but is equipped with a vapour-tight door and steam generator that heats water and delivers the vapour into the enclosed space. Its purpose is to make and retain steam. The materials should be resilient to hot and moist vapour. You can place a seat inside the enclosure to relax while enjoying the steam shower. This type of shower requires professional installation and design consideration due to moisture which can cause mould damage.
What are my options for steam showers?
There are three options for a steam shower installation at home. You can retrofit your current shower, install a modular unit or have a built-in space installed. Whatever your choice, your steam shower must have three basic components, namely, a steam generator, water supply and electrical supply. That means you have a choice where in your home you want to have your steam shower installed, as long as you have access to all three components.
- Retrofitting your existing shower: the steam shower should have no openings where the steam can escape. Your current shower can be modified as long as it is fully enclosed. Steam can penetrate even small cracks, so all components need to be prepped, including your drain pan, shower walls and tiles. You will need the expertise of professionals to do this.
- Built-in showers: this is made from scratch, so you should consult professionals to install.
- Modular steam enclosures: These self-contained units can be purchased directly from suppliers and installed in homes. They will need access to plumbing and electrical services. They come with all the required components, including accessories for a more enjoyable steam shower experience.
What are the things I need to consider?
Aside from having the required components, you need to consider whether or not a steam shower is right for you and to ensure you make the most suitable choice..
- Space: you need to have sufficient space in your bathroom or the part of your house where you want to install your steam shower, to avoid overcrowding.
- Health conditions: a steam shower is not for everyone. If you have high blood pressure or heart problems, it is best to consult your doctor for advice before purchasing. If you are pregnant, it may not be recommended.
- Steam generator size: steam generators come in 120 and 240-volt capacities. Smaller steam stalls may require only 120-volt generator while larger ones need 240-volt capacity. Your bathroom should be able to accommodate which ever option you decide to choose. Consult a qualified electrician for advice.
- Warranty for modular units: if you opt for modular units, go for the ones with a longer warranty and check what is covered and what is not.
What other features are available in steam showers?
Steam showers now come with a few extras that make bathing more fun and relaxing. If you have the budget and you are willing to spend more for that spa-like showering experience, you can consider the following:
- Aromatherapy: modular units offer aromatherapy, or scents using oils placed in the reservoir of a steam head. This will be dispersed with the steam so you can smell the aroma of different essential oils and enjoy the relaxing, therapeutic benefits.
- Quick start features: manufacturers have come up with innovative features such as quick start, which makes steam showers produce steam fast, so you can enjoy the steam without having to wait longer. However, this uses more energy as water is being heated continuously.
- Wireless controls: this option allows you to turn it on remotely and attend to other things in the room until you are ready to go inside.
- Music: in-shower speakers or internal radio is now being offered for modular units. Some also have chromatherapy or lighting effects.
Nothing compares to having a relaxing shower in the comfort of your own home. You can take a step further and upgrade your bathing with the help of steam shower for a spa like experience, it’s all up to you. Invest time in carrying out a bit of research and know your options, so you can make a well-informed choice of which shower is right for you and your needs and make it worth the investment.
- Latest Products